Gap Year Association National Alumni Survey 2014–15
From the executive summary report: "This survey of American gap year experiences was conducted in 2014–15 and reached hundreds of gap year alumni. While limitations do exist, this study represents the most comprehensive exploration of gap year experiences of Americans to date. Highlights include:
- 81% of all survey participants said they were very likely to recommend taking a gap year to someone considering it.
- The general experience of “being in a new and different environment” was the most meaningful element of the overall gap year experience.
- Having a wide range of experiences was also important.
- Gappers experienced the greatest impacts related to their personal growth and development.
- Those who participated in a gap year had, on average, shorter times to graduation and higher GPAs as compared to national norms.
- Gappers currently experience higher levels of job satisfaction and civic participation as compared to national norms.